Click here to download the programme for the Manchester event
But what does this mean in practise?
- How will it impact on day to day operations? With limited funding at their disposal and housing departments at full stretch, will local authorities be able to cope with the ambitious new requirements set out in the legislation?
- What more will be expected of registered providers – when flexible tenancies come to an end? When running homelessness services on behalf of authorities or designing new services to prevent homelessness?
- How will the private sector respond to the Act?
Wendy Murphy, HQN associate and homelessness lead will chair the day.
Our line-up of speakers is confirmed:
- Deborah Garvie, Policy Manager, Shelter has been working on the Bill during its passage through Parliament and is now on the DCLG implementation working group. She will set the scene by explaining the thinking behind the Act and advise on its interpretation
- Maeve McGoldrick, Head of Policy, Crisis will consider the Act from their organisation’s perspective and knowledge of homelessness focusing on the issues that would make the greatest impact.
- John Stewart, Policy Manager, Residential Landlords Association will provide the view from the private landlord’s perspective. The Act recognises the key role that private landlords play both in creating and preventing homelessness – how will landlords respond?
- Mike Wright, Strategic Lead on Homelessness, Greater Manchester Combined Authority will talk about how they have interpreted the requirements, the steps they are taking and their plans for making it work across their partnership
- Wendy Murphy will introduce HQN’s “hot off the press” checklist setting out clearly the steps that local authorities need to be taking to ensure they are meeting the new duties imposed by the legislation.
Click here to download the map and directions to Macdonald Manchester Hotel.